You Are Engaged, Now What? 12 Tips On What To Do After YOU Get Engaged.
You’re engaged now what? I hope that by now you have notified your family and close friends. And I hope that you shared the new with them in person or by phone and not through social media!
Planning your dream wedding can be stressful and overwhelming but it doesn’t have to be this way. I am writing 12 tips on what to to after the engagement in hopes to help brides plan their wedding they have been dreaming about for years.
- First and foremost, and I know this one can be uncomfortable to talk about at times but you need to discuss and agree to a budget and stick to it. Find out if parents or love ones are helping pay for the wedding and if so, with how much. Always ask and never assume.
- Write your guest list. This will help you when looking for a venue.
- It’s a good idea to write down in order of importance the things that are important for your wedding. This will also help you stay within your budget. It is easier to make changes or cut things from the wedding planning when they are not as important or take priority. For example if party favors are at the bottom of the list and it’s going to cost xx amount which will make you go over your budget, you might consider doing a less expensive party favor or do completely without.
- Start looking for a venue! The venue is the first thing you should book before you can confirm a date and start booking other vendors. Depending on the venue, some book a year out so you don’t want to wait too long. I will be writing later this week on how to find the perfect venue. So make sure to check back for more tips.
- Hire a wedding planner/coordinator. A lot of brides think they can do without a wedding coordinator to try to save money when in reality you would probably be spending more by not hiring one. And not to mention the headaches they will save you
- Find the perfect photographer. Some photographers also book a year in advance.
- Book your engagement session for Save The Date Cards.
- Decide who is going to be in your wedding party.
- Shop for your dream wedding dress and bride’s maids dresses. Some dresses have to be special order and they have about six month turnaround. So makes sure you check with your stylist and bridal boutique.
- Book your other vendors: caterer, florist, DJ, bakery, hair and makeup artist, stationary and any other vendors you are hiring for your wedding.
- Order Tuxedos
- Sign up for a wedding registry.
- Ok so I lied! I have one more tip for you and this on is just as important. Take a break, let your wedding coordinator do his/her thing. When you hire professionals that you trust, it takes away the pressure and stress that comes with planning a wedding. Make time for the TWO OF YOU to reconnect. It is so easy during the wedding planning to loose focus of who you are as a couple as all your energy and time is spent planning your wedding. Go out on a date even if it’s just for coffee with a promise not to have any wedding talk. Enjoy your time together!
Happy wedding planning! Don’t forget to check back later this week to find tips on how to find the perfect venue.
LYDIA GILLIS PHOTOGRAPHY is Eugene based and Destination Wedding Photographer. We specialize in Weddings and High School Seniors.
VISIT OUR WEBSITE | “LIKE” US ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM | FOLLOW US ON PINTEREST | FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
[…] You Are Engaged, Now What? Tips On What To Do After You Get Engaged […]
[…] Over 25 percent of marriage proposals happen holiday season. It is by far the most popular time of year to propose. If you just got engaged, CONGRATULATIONS!!! I wrote a blog post a while back about “12 Tips You Can Do After You Get Engaged” and you can find the blog post here. […]